Come paddle with us! Since 1999 and continuing today, Hackensack Riverkeeper remains the only operator of canoe/kayak liveries in our watershed. Now fielding a fleet of more than fifty canoes and kayaks, we look forward to giving you, your family & friends opportunities to enjoy and explore the river, the Meadowlands and Overpeck Lake at your own pace or on one of our guided tours. Please note that our paddling activities are donation-based, as opposed to fee-based and all funds raised help support the ongoing mission of Hackensack Riverkeeper.
Overpeck Park Kayak Center
Wondering if we will be closed due to weather? Be the first to find out with our new app.
You can hit the water at either of our two paddling center locations:
Laurel Hill Paddling Center
Donation: $25.00 per paddler, for up to four hours
Paddling Center will not be open on Reservoir Challenge, Lake Tappan and SPLASH events. The Paddling Center will be OPEN on Memorial Day, Labor Day and July 4th.
Our Paddling Center at Laurel Hill County Park (which also serves as Hackensack Riverkeeper’s field office) is located at the end of New County Road in Secaucus, NJ and is easily accessible from NJ Turnpike Exit 15-X (Eastern Spur) and the train station at Secaucus Junction. The park is situated directly on the river at the southern end of the New Jersey Meadowlands. Download printable directions. Here’s how to enjoy it:
Canoe and Kayak Rentals
- Reservations are recommended, but not required, and are subject to availability.
- Please call 201-920-4746 for rental reservations for Laurel Hill.
- We use the buddy system- NO SOLO PADDLERS
- Paddlers must be over 16 and be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Each paddler will be provided with a whistle, paddle and laminated map in addition to a short paddling lesson and river orientation. Everybody weighing about 70 lbs and up will be issued and must wear a Personal Flotation Device. Smaller participants must have their own US Coast Guard-approved PFD.
- Be sure to bring water, sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Consider bringing a hat, sunglasses, binoculars, camera, field guide,snacks and anything else that will make your day more enjoyable.
- If possible, carry your gear in a waterproof bag.
CANOE Donation RATES (per four hours):
$25 per paddler
$15 per passenger
- You must have two paddlers per canoe.
- At least one (preferably experienced) paddler must be a legal adult.
- Teens 16 and older may substitute for the 2nd adult paddler.
- Up to three adults, or two adults with one or two children is a comfortable fit.
KAYAK Donation RATES (per four hours):
$25 per paddler
- You must have at least one (preferably experienced) legal adult paddler per kayak.
- Teens may paddle in a tandem kayak if the other paddler is an experienced legal adult.
- We have single and tandem kayaks.
- NO solo paddling is permitted, so if you want to paddle a single kayak, bring a buddy for a second boat.
Guided Paddles are a great way to experience the Meadowlands. Enjoy a leisurely, two-hour paddle through the marshes of the Sawmill Creek Wildlife Management Area with an experienced guide. In addition to sightseeing and wildlife watching, you will learn a good bit about the natural and human history that has shaped the region. Generally, low tide trips are best for wildlife-watching and high tide trips are best for sightseeing.
Laurel Hill Park Guided Paddles
Fri 5/12 7 PM (Post) Full Moon
Sat 5/13 7 PM (Post) Full Moon
Thu 6/8 7:30 PM (Pre) Full Moon
Sun 6/11 7:30 PM (Post) Full Moon
Sat 7/8 7:30 PM (Pre) Full Moon
Sun 7/9 7:30 PM Full Moon
Sat 8/5 7 PM (Pre) Full Moon
Sun 8/6 7 PM Full Moon
Fri 9/8 6:30 PM (Post) Full Moon
Sat 9/9 6:30 PM (Post) Full Moon
www.HackensackRiverkeeper.org or 201-968-0808
Donations: $30 per paddler / $15 canoe passengers; $15 per paddler w/ own boat
* Special events (MUST be pre-registered): $50 per paddler / $25 per paddler w/ own boat
To make reservations or to get more information, please contact our Program Director Hugh Carola at 201-968-0808. Upon reserving, your trip confirmation and directions will be mailed to you.
Overpeck Park Kayak Center
Special Sunset and Meetup Paddles–join our group
Season: Late April through October*
Donation: Up to two hours $15.00 per paddler / $10.00 per paddler each additional hour
- We use the buddy system- NO SOLO PADDLERS except for special open group paddles.
- Children 5 to 8 can ride as a passenger in a canoe with TWO adult paddlers.
- Children 8-12 can paddle in a tandem kayak with one adult in the rear.
- Children 12 & up can paddle a single kayak, but must be accompanied on the water by a parent or guardian over 18 at all times.
Overpeck County Park Kayak Center:
Use 50 Ft. Lee Road, Leonia- enter the park and make the first right at traffic circle, cross over the wooden bridge and we are located at the first lot on your left.
*Beginning in April the Paddling Center will be open into October, weather permitting.