Hackensack Riverkeeper staffers are available to lead outings for your group at a date and time of your choice. Schools, Scout troops, nature clubs and more are welcome. Bird-walks are guided birding trips to unique habitat areas within the Hackensack River watershed (and sometimes beyond). They offer you a chance to gain a more thorough understanding of the birds and other wildlife that inhabit our region. Bird-Walks are led by an experienced field naturalist and beginning birders are always welcome!
Depending on the time of year, there are different places that we visit. Among the places we’ve explored are:
- The Celery Farm Natural Area in Allendale, NJ. Although not in the Hackensack River Watershed, this is always our most popular Eco-Walk. This 107-acre municipally-owned nature preserve boasts a bird list of over 340 species!
- The Mill Creek Wetlands Trail in Secaucus, NJ. One of the newest public-access points in the Meadowlands, this loop trail covers more than a mile through a restored wetlands ecosystem. Birding is excellent at Mill Creek, especially in Spring and Fall;
- Richard W. DeKorte Park and the Sawmill Creek Wildlife Management Area in Lyndhurst, NJ. As many people already know, DeKorte is very productive birding destination because of its varied habitats;
- Mehrhof Pond in Little Ferry, NJ. Formed when a clay pit strip mine flooded in the early 20th Century, this unique place hosts thousands of roosting waterfowl every Fall and Winter.
- Hawk Watch at the State Line Lookout atop the Palisades in Alpine, NJ. While we don’t do much actual walking, we do have an opportunity to observe numerous hawks, falcons and eagles if the winds are right.
At a leisurely pace, a Bird-Walk takes about two hours from start to finish with plenty of stops along the way for birding (and botanizing and discussion as well). Despite the fact that Bird-Walks are WALKS and not HIKES, the trails are sometimes muddy or a little uneven so please be sure to wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. Bring sunscreen, bug juice and don’t forget to bring your binoculars & cameras!
$150 for a Group Bird-Walk up to 2 hours.
$200 for a Group Bird-Walk up to 3 hours.
*Bird-Walks are not recommended for children under the age of 4.
Please contact our Program Director Hugh Carola by phone at 201-968-0808 or via e-mail at email@example.com. Upon reserving, directions will be sent to you. Steady rain cancels.
See you on the trail!