Part Time Seasonal Staff
Hackensack Riverkeeper, a 501(c)(3) non-profit clean water advocacy organization based in Hackensack, NJ, is seeking part-time Paddling Center staff for the 2017 season. The season begins on Earth Day, April 22, 2017 and ends on Sunday, October 29, 2017, weather permitting.
Founded in 1997 by Captain Bill Sheehan, Riverkeeper’s mission is to protect, preserve and restore the Hackensack River. One of the central ways the organization fulfills that mission is through on-water recreation programs featuring canoe and kayak liveries at two convenient northeast New Jersey locations:
- Riverkeeper’s Paddling Center at Laurel Hill County Park in Secaucus, NJ – Open weekends 9AM – 6PM from Saturday, April 22, 2017 through Sunday, October 29, 2017 weather permitting. The Center is also open on Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day 9AM – 6PM. In addition to livery rentals, staff-led guided paddles and special paddling events also take place at Laurel Hill. Some evening hours are required.
- Overpeck Park Kayak Center at Overpeck County Park in Teaneck, NJ – Open Wednesdays through Sundays (Noon – 7PM weekdays / 9AM – 6PM weekends) April 19 through June 25, 2017. Open seven days (Noon – 8PM weekdays / 9AM – 6PM weekends) June 26 through Labor Day, September 4, 2017. Center reverts to a Wed – Sun Noon – 7PM schedule September 6 through October 29. This location is also open on Memorial Day. Riverkeeper also conducts special paddling events at Overpeck.
Days and hours of operation may be adjusted and/or changed to meet changing requirements and/or public demand. Both locations close for inclement weather.
- Must be 18 years of age or older;
- Excellent physical condition;
- Prior paddling experience in both canoes and kayaks;
- Pleasant attitude, able to communicate effectively with the public, co-workers & supervisors;
- Have reliable, personal transportation;
- Comfortable around water, including ability to swim;
- New Jersey Safe Boating Certification (course will be provided for those not possessing the certification);
- CPR Certification greatly preferred.
- Greeting prospective paddlers and all Center visitors in a friendly manner;
- Signing up paddlers for rentals and guided paddles;
- Providing basic paddling instruction and safety talk to paddlers;
- Maintaining proper cash control and credit card security at all times;
- Fitting all paddlers with Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs), paddles and other gear;
- Launching and retrieving canoes and kayaks;
- Launching and handling gas-powered safety boat;
- On-water rescue of overturned canoes & kayaks (by safety boat and/or paddlecraft);
- Daily opening/closing procedures including washing of equipment, general “housekeeping”, etc.;
- Providing information about Hackensack Riverkeeper’s programs, mission, environmental issues & wildlife;
- Other tasks as needed to help paddlers and benefit the organization’s mission.
To apply, send a letter with résumé and references to Operations Director Mary Knight at email@example.com.